Monday, February 25, 2008

my change in views after class disscusion on "The Grotto"

today's discussion
after reading the grotto my first impression was that it was a story about a ugly lady who stayed in her cave home tending to her garden and sickly mother. I figured she didn't get a husband because she was somewhat of a troll. After her mother died i thought she went to Egypt to visit a garden and get outside her mothers house because her mother was haunting her. I thought she had met prince charming (the Egyptian guy) and that they had a thing for each other since they shared the deaths of their mothers or something. Then it concludes with her running away from her soul mate because shes was too ugly for his broad shoulders.

After the class discussion i find that she doesn't stay at home because she is a ugly troll (still plausible not confirmed) but she has other reasons for staying at home. I find that she isn't being haunted by her mother but she just keep them memory of her mother with her and consults her actions with what she thinks her mother would tell her (or shes crazy which is also plausible). I also find out, to my dismay, that this was not a happy ending/Egyptian prince charming and princess ugly troll gardener but instead they just met each other, became Friends, bonded over each others losses and ended abruptly.

i still like my interpretation better.

No comments: